Sunday, March 25, 2007

Sage - arific!

In February, my puppy dog Copper had, what I thought was a raging ear infection. Going to different websites, I had concluded that he had ear mites. So I proceeded to treat him as if he did, buying over-the-counter medications for him; only making it worse. These medications that are made to treat ear mites have pesticides in them and they were giving my poor little Copper bleeding blisters! And as if it could be any worse, the brownish-black waxy stuff was just building up even more!

My poor little guy...


So, with the blood, the blisters, and his ears sounding "watery", I just knew it had to be an ear infection. And Golden Retrievers are notorious for ear problems. His veterinarian was concerned, too, so they gave me a time slot that they usually save for emergencies and we were at the vet in no time!

I LOVE HIS VET! I always have! Since the moment I met her. Dr. G is such a people person ... and a dog person! She's the kind of person that I would just love to sit down with and shoot the breeze.

Before she even looked at Copper's ears, but after reading his chart and what the vet tech had written, she explained to me that while it might be ear mites, it is highly unlikely. Copper is not around cats (which ear mites are most common in) and by my description, it sounded more like a yeast infection. Plus, since he's a Golden, it's more likely a yeast infection. Luckily, there is ONE medication that will kill ear mites, yeast infections, and all kinds of other things! And it's pesticide free! WOOHOO!!

So she showed me some good techniques on how to clean his ears and during our small talk, she told me about a 5 year old Golden that needed a new home. His owners lived on a 40 acre ranch and didn't want to put up a fence. Well... once a Golden picks up a scent, they're off! And so he would wander off and the owners were afraid he would wander down into traffic or something. Dr. G explained that he is AKC registered and from a Championship line -- both his parents are Champions. That's good... usually means no hereditary health problems. He's neutered, blah, blah, blah. And she was really surprised that he hasn't been adopted yet because he's been needing a new home for quite awhile now.

Well, I'm thinking in my feeble little brain that there is no way that Troy would go for this! So, I tell her, "I'll talk to my hubby about it!" with a huge smile on my face, knowing very well that he would say no and that would be the end of it. Heck, I probably wouldn't even bring it up because I already know what his answer is going to be.

When I got home about noon, Troy was home for lunch, and I just could not hold it in! So I told him. And to my surprise, he started asking questions. Questions that I didn't have answers to. What's his name? Is he housebroken? Has he ever been around kids? I'm like... are you kidding? So I get on the phone faster than you can say Omigosh and get the phone number to the owner.

Now we are the proud owner of the beautiful Sage, who I lovingly call Sage - arific...



Unfortunately, he's had a few health problems that the previous owner failed to tell us about. However, he has been a great addition to our family and we already fell in love with him! Dr. G said the reason he didn't get adopted before is because he was waiting for us. And I totally and completely agree with her.


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a beautiful addition to your family. Sage is beautiful, so is your other one. It's great that you found the perfect medicine and I hope Cooper gets to feeling better soon.

Micayla said...

OMG what a cute little story! I was so touched!
I am a sucker for cats, when we went to buy one, there was two little cuties in the pet shop, so I had to bring them home. Then about 3 years later, I ended up getting another 2 kittens as they was in a pet shop that was not up to my standards, so they came home with me.
So thats 4 cats, a dog and a huge fish tank.......no children yet I am not sure they would fit in my little house. LOL