Sunday, August 5, 2007

Made some decisions... Finally!

Over the past 3-4 months, I have been struggling with choosing a curriculum for our home schooling journey. There are just so many already-put-together-just-add-your-family-here type curricula. Then there are those curricula that you basically put together yourself... Mathematics from this place, Language Arts from that place, Science and Nature from yet another place.

Argh... just so mind boggling, I tell you! Well, after many sleepless nights and too many headaches, my hubby and I finally found a solution that we think will work very well for our family. Whew, that was exhausting!

My little M, who seems to be pure genius when it comes to Math (!!) is 5, will turn 6 in October. If he were in our local public school, he would be going into Kindergarten this year because he misses the deadline to attend first grade by 6 measly days. However, since we are choosing to ruin his education at home home school, we are able to use first grade curriculum with him -- which we feel he is thoroughly ready for.

For him, we will be ordering:

  • Oak Meadow grade 1
  • Enki Kindergarten -- Learning through Movement
  • Enki grade 1 -- Learning through Movement
  • Enki grade 1 -- Folk/Fairy tales
  • Miquon Math
I figured I better order both the Kindergarten and grade 1 Learning through Movement since M is a sensory kiddo and these materials cover Sensory Integration in depth.

Our little princess, A will be 9 in November and we have chosen 4th grade curriculum for her:

For us parents, we have also chosen to supplement ourselves with:
  • Oak Meadow -- Heart of Learning
  • Enki Foundation Guides
  • Enki Community and Festival Songs

As you may have noticed, we are taking the Waldorf approach with a little bit of Montessori mixed in. Which, I'm sure may be strange to some who actually know me -- to them I'm a bit more mainstreamed. But I tend not to listen to other people's opinions where my children are concerned, so that's OK with me. I suppose I've always been a little bit strange anyhow. They will just have to learn to get over it. Right? Right.

Now then... my dear hubby has decided to work 4 ten hour days, instead of 5 eight hour days. He worked this schedule when we still lived in Cali and it worked great for us with a family. A three day weekend every week is an absolute dream when it comes to family time. I mean... who would want to work 5 days when your employer would willingly give you a 4 day work schedule? Hello!! No brainer.

1 comment:

Kulia said...

How great that you can incorporate different ideas like Montessori and Waldorf - all the better that you choose what suits each child's learning style!